Why Is Speeding a Bad Idea?
According to www.pohlberkattorneys.com, speeding is one of the most often cited reasons for getting in trouble with the law; even otherwise law-abiding citizens are often ticketed for speeding. The reason that speeding is so rigorously monitored is because it is also one of the leading causes of traffic accidents, and a factor in almost one-third of all fatal crashes. Even under the best of circumstances, speeding makes it more difficult for a driver to avoid trouble because the reaction time is that much shorter. It is unfortunate that most people don’t have the reflexes of Dom Toretto, but that is the sad fact.
Aside from shorter reaction times, speeding can lead to accidents because it decreases the amount of control the driver has over the vehicle, especially when it comes to curves. This is especially true when driving vehicles with a high center of gravity, such as SUVs, which are prone to rollovers. It is also unwise to drive fast when carrying heavy loads, because it makes it harder to stop; the load could also shift during a turn and cause the vehicle to tip over.
Below are some trends observed about speeding accidents. While trends do not mean it will happen to a particular person, statistically speaking it makes it more likely.
- Most fatal speeding accidents happen on Saturdays
- 40% of all deaths due to speeding happened on a curve
- Men are more likely to die in a speeding accident
- Most drunk drivers (41%) and some sober drivers (14%) involved in a fatal crash were speeding
- Most fatal speeding accidents were single-vehicle crashes and happened on a rural road
- A significant number of fatal speeding accidents involved a motorcycle
- Those in Western states are more likely to be involved in a fatal speeding accident than those in the Eastern states
According to the website of the Ausband & Dumont Law Firm, if you have been injured in an accident because of someone speeding, you may have a case for personal injury. A lawsuit can potentially recover monetary losses that arose as a direct result of the speeding accident. Consult with a speeding accident lawyer and help put a brake to speeding motorists.